I remember what my mornings were like when I worked outside of the home. Not pleasant!
Your alarm goes off and you hit snooze a few times. Then you wake up and look at the clock and you are seriously late.
Grab a quick shower, no time to make lunch or even a cup of coffee. All the time you are getting ready your mind starts doing it’s negative crap. “I wonder what kind of mood the boss will be in, I hope the bus comes on time, I hate my job, They don’t pay me enough, I’m going to have to buy lunch and I can’t really afford that, I hate my job some more”…you get the idea.
Then your bus ends up being late or your car won’t start, traffic is awful, it’s super cold out and you forgot your mittens, it’s crazy hot out already & you’re sweating to death, you grab a coffee and end up spilling it on yourself, you are late and the boss is mad…and it goes on and on.
So is there anything you can do to make your morning go more smoothly?
Here’s a few ideas:
- Make your lunch the night before. I use to make a bit more for supper and then pack it up for the next day. I also filled my coffee maker with water and coffee grounds so I simply had to hit the button and my coffee was done by the time I crawled out of the shower.
- Shower the night before. I know many people that do this. I never could because I have crazy hair and it needed to be soaked down and controlled but I heard this works great for most people(especially guys).
- Set out your clothes if need be. I use to work in a downtown environment where I need to dress very professionally. There is nothing worse than when you are already running late and you get a case of the “I have nothing to wear” even though you have a closet full of clothes.
- Check the weather and road reports. That will give you an idea of whether you need to leave a bit earlier than normal.
- Wake up 15 minutes earlier than you are use to and do a workout. That will increase your endorphin levels which in turn will make you happier.
- As soon as you wake up think positive thoughts. Remember…thoughts become things. Don’t set your day up on the negative side. Be grateful that you woke up, have a job, you have another day to enjoy, you get to see a friend later…whatever thoughts make you happy.
- Place both feet on the floor and literally ground yourself for a minute or two. By putting both feet flat on the floor you will become more in tune with spirit. Also, ask God/Spirit/Universe to help you get through the day on a positive note. Nothing wrong with asking for help!
- Don’t worry about the drama at work. Not your circus, not your monkeys.
- If you are looking at making a career change then visualize what that will look like. Think about your current job being a means to an end.
- If negative thoughts start creeping in I tell myself that I have no control to change anything right at that moment. When I do have the time then I work on what I need to do to change things. This also works when you can’t fall asleep.
- You need to make time for yourself. Even though you might not like getting up earlier than usual it will have a very positive effect.
- Go to bed earlier. Turn the television, computer or cell phone off at least 2 hours before you plan on sleeping. The short wave blue light that is emitted from both will disrupt your sleep. Also, put your cell phone and computer in another room at night. The noises they make can disrupt our sleep. If you wake up in the middle of the night and your cell phone is by your bed you will be tempted to take a look at it to check messages or social media. If you have to walk to get your phone that will be far less tempting. Take the last few hours of the evening to spend time with your family, read a book or just have some quiet time with yourself.
Starting a day off on the wrong foot typically predestines what will end up happening during the day.
Even though I work from home now I still have those mornings that throw me off. Nobody’s perfect. It’s all in how you react to things. My best friend told me once “We are all allowed a pity party once in awhile. We just need to give ourselves an allotted time to have it and then we need to move on”. Wise words.
I hope you have the best day ever!